Govanhill’s first foray into national competition starts this weekend with two matches in Division Four of the Scottish National Online Chess League, or SNOCL.
SNOCL was created by the Scottish Online Chess Organisation in 2021 to provide a new channel for inter-club competition while over-the-board leagues are suspended.
The second iteration of SNOCL takes place over January to March 2022, with Govanhill being one of 18 clubs around Scotland taking part. All matches will be played on chess.com at the rapid time control of 25+10.
Govanhill’s teams for rounds one and two are:
SNOCL Division Four
Round 1 – East Kilbride vs Govanhill (11am, Sun 30 Jan)
- Board 1: Graeme McKinnon [white]
- Board 2: Harvey Dellanzo [black]
- Board 3: Derek Rankine (captain) [white]
- Board 4: Niall McCamley [black]
- Board 5: Jass McNeill [white]
Round 2 – Govanhill vs Lenzie 2 (2pm, Sun 30 Jan)
- Board 1: Rhys McCrosson [black]
- Board 2: Harvey Dellanzo [white]
- Board 3: Julien Papillon (captain) [black]
- Board 4: Jonny Stark [white]
- Board 5: Libor Masar [black]
Results and league standings will be made available on the Scottish Online Chess Organisation Website.
All individual games will also be graded and published by Chess Scotland.